Monday, June 27, 2016

91 and Dedicated

Hey all!  
   I hope that all of you are having a great week!  This week, I wanted to tell you all about one of my favorite members from my current ward.

   In the photo that I´ve attached, you´ll see me and another member from our ward named D.  He´s a convert of about 1 or 2 years, and is going to the temple for the first time this week!  He´s 91 years old, and even with his difficulties he does everything possible to show his love to the Lord.  

   Every Sunday morning at 8:20 (40 minutes before sacrament meeting) Brother D. can be seen walking through the chapel doors, having walked from his house to church alone.  Considering his age, his pace isn´t all that fast!  But still the same, he´s always one of the first people seated in the chapel.  As soon as he sits down, he opens up a little priesthood manual that he received and studies the ordenances of the Melchezedeck (I have no idea how to spell that anymore!) Priesthood, which he received just a little while ago.  When we asked him what he was studying, he said "Well, I´ve got the priesthood now, so I need to know how to use it!"  

   Two weeks ago was stake conference.  Because of the fact that many members here don´t have cars, the ward chartered a bus to take the members to the stake center.  The bus left the chapel at 8:30.  After the stake conference I saw Brother Domingos, and went up to talk to him.  He told me that he forgot about the stake conference and when he got to church (he was running a little late that sunday), the chapel was closed up and no one was there.  He said that he felt the spirit tell him to go to the house of a member that lives close to the chapel, so off he went!  He said that he got there right as they were getting ready to leave, and they offered him a ride to stake conference!  

   There´s a number of other stories that I could tell you all about Brother D, such as how his 70 year old son came to visit him last week among others, but the message is always the same!  
I´m grateful for the opportunity that I´ve had to see such a dedicated and faithful example of discipleship!  He´s a reminder to me of the dedication that the Lord wants from us, and the peace and joy that comes from a life centered on Christ!  If we are quick to observe, then we´ll find that we are blessed to be in the presence of our spiritual superiors, even spiritual giants, on a regular basis.  Let us all learn from there example!

   The greatest thing that I´ve come to know to a greater degree on my mission is that Jesus is the Christ!  Becoming like him is our aim, and living his gospel to become like him is the secret to a happy and eternal family!   

I love you all, have a great week!

Elder Sweet

No comments:

Post a Comment