Sunday, June 5, 2016

District P!!!

This week the long awaited day came!!!

   A couple of weeks ago we recieved the following message from President K.: "Aprovado Patos!!!" ("Patos was Approved!!!")  Since then we´ve been planning our trip to Patos de Minas, the most distant city in the mission.  This week we travelled out to organize the district!  The trip started off great!  We left Wednesday morning, traveled to Uberlândia (we passed through Ituiutaba as well to do the house inspection there as well), and did the house inspections in Uberlândia there and then stayed the night.  My MTC companion, Elder S, is the Zone Leader there, so it was great to see him again!  The next morning we went to Araguari, Catalão, and Uberaba.  Uberaba was my previous area, it was awesome to be in the area there as well!  We waked up the next morning and went to Araxá, then we went straight to Patos de Minas.  We got there in the afternoon, did the house inspections, and then Elder Z. and I went on a division with the Zone Leaders.  Saturday we had a Zone meeting; Elder Z. and I prepared a training about chapter 1 of Preach My Gospel, our purpose as missionaries.  Saturday we went on a division with another companionship, and the work was great!  By chance I got to work with Elder C, one of my companions when I was financial secretary, as well.  He´s one of the best missionaries that I know, extremely dedicated to the work.  So, I can now say that I´ve visited each of the cities in the mission that have missionaries!  

 They´re all great cities!  

   The meeting where the new district was announced on Sunday was excellent.  It´s such a great thing to see the church growing!  There were two branches there, Patos de Minas and Califórnia.  This week the Guanabara branch was created to complete the district.  The leadership in the new district is full of humble, honest men who feel completely inadequate in their new callings, but trust that the Lord will qualify them.  The spirit was so strong as each member of the District Presidency stood up, the Branch presidencies and the District Council.  After the sustainings we sang "Called to Serve," and honestly I began to cry a little bit during the hymn.  This is one of President K's last acts as Mission President, in a few weeks he finishes his mission.  He got a bit emotional during the hymn too, and that led me to ponder a bit on what he´s done during his mission.  In the time that he has served here two new stakes were created, one new district, various branches were opened and wards divided.  This is an area that was stopped for years, but the Lord used President K. to move his work forward in the Brazil Goiânia Mission.  It is such a privelege to serve with him!

I´ve got to go, but I love you all tremendously!
President S., the first counselor in the mission presidency.  President K. bought this plate for us on our trip to Patos de Minas.


Elder Sweet

No comments:

Post a Comment