Monday, February 8, 2016

True to the Faith

Hey all!
  
   This week we had a neat experience with a recent convert named S.  He asked "what does it mean to be true to the faith?"  My first instinct was to answer his question, just tell him what I know about this and leave it at that.  But, before I spake, I remembered a pattern that I´ve seen Elder Bednar use in various occasions.  He gives the student some specific scriptures to study that contain the answer to their question, and invites them to get the answer themselves from the scriptures and the holy spirit.  
So, we left 2 Timothy 4:6-7 
for him to read.
"For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.  I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith;"
The Apostle Paul Teaching
Image from graceuniversity.edu
  We told him to try to understand what was going on in Paul´s life when he said this, and what he had done that enabled him to say this.  When we returned a few days later and asked about his study, S. gave us a lesson 10 times better than I´d ever have been able to give!  He´d followed foot notes and studied and read other scriptures, and had come to a conclusion.  He said "Being true to the faith means keeping the commandments to the end, until we are converted."  What a great answer!  The spirit answered his question in a way that Elder S. never would have been able to, and it was a powerful lesson for me. 
Anyhow, this week we have two baptismal possibilities.  1 - M. He´s a friend of one of the counselors in the stake presidency, and told us that he wants to be baptized.  We taught him basically everything yesterday, and during the week we´ll just be following-up to make sure that everything goes well.  2 - R.  He was taught by Elder O. and Elder S. in the previous transfer, but after a while stopped showing much interest.  Yesterday we ran into him on the street!  We went to his house, re-taught the restoration, and invited him to be baptized.  He accepted a date for this Saturday, so let´s pray with faith that everything works out there!
I´ve got to go, but I love you guys!!!
Elder S.

No comments:

Post a Comment