Monday, July 13, 2015

Transfered!!!

 I hope everything is going awesome back in the good ol´ US of A!  So, as I think I mentioned in my previous E-mail, this week is transfers!  And, as you might have guessed based on the title of this E-mail, I got transferred!  I´ve served one and a half transfers here in Rio Verde Popular, and it is without a doubt the best area in the mission.  I feel so incredibly privileged to have had this incredible opportunity to serve here!
 
My companion Elder Hamilton, President Carlos, and me!
 President Carlos (the branch president), asked me to give a "going away" message to the priesthood on Sunday.  I decided to bear my testimony of the Book of Mormon.  The Book of Mormon contains a promise that if we read it, ponder its message and how merciful God has been to his children, and then ask in prayer if it is true, that we will receive an answer to our sincere petition.  As I read the Book of Mormon, I can feel the spirit testify to me subtly but distinctly of its truthfulness.  I really am growing to love the words contained within its pages, and I feel a little more touched by God´s love with every word that I read.
   I also like to ponder on the history of the Book of Mormon, how it came to be in my hands.  It was translated by the gift and power of God by a young, uneducated farmboy who had been chosen and qualified by God for this work.  He lived testifying of Christ and of this book, and he died doing so as well.  Joseph Smith and others have lived and died testifying of the truthfulness of the message that it contains.  Although many in the world try to attack the book by attacking the prophet, they will one day find that their false accusations are equivalent to the false accusations and twisted words that were used to sentence Christ, the only perfect person who ever lived, to die on the cross.  The followers of the martyred prophet fled across frozen prairie floors and over mountains to find a land where they could exercise the rights promised to them by their nations which were unjustly denied them, and by the hand of God were led west.  God protected them and their testimonies that we might have them today.  Now we are continuing the same legacy that they began, and it is our duty to share our testimonies of the Book of Mormon, and by so doing of Christ, with all the world.
   Finally, I think back to the many times that I have prayed asking God if the Book of Mormon really is his words.  Unlike some, there is no specific event that I can point to and say "there is the origin of my testimony."  My answer came by degrees, so subtly that I never noticed the difference over a short period of time, but now I can say that I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God.  I´ve read it, pondered its message and the mercy of God in bringing that message to us, and most importantly I have sought an answer from God to know of its truthfulness.  And it is true!
   I tried to share these same ideas in my somewhat limited grasp of Portuguese with the men of this branch yesterday, and I felt grateful for the testimony that I´ve been given of the Book of Mormon.  It truly is the word of God, and ANYONE who reads it with an open mind truly seeking to know the truth can know that as well.
   I almost forgot to tell you guys about the transfer!  I got a bit side-tracked there!  I was transferred to the G. ward in G, and I will be the Mission´s Financial Secretary.  It´s definitely going to be a new type of challenge for me, but I´m really excited.  My companion will be Elder S, he´s also going to be a secretary though I´m not sure of what yet.  I´ll tell you guys next week!  
   I´ve got to take off now, but I love you guys and am so grateful for your support and of your prayers!  They mean more to me than I can express. 
Luan and I, one of the branch members here.  He introduced me to Doritos with Nutella, it´s actually really stinking good!  Try it!
Have an awesome week everyone, and I´ll talk to you next P-day!

Elder Sweet 

No comments:

Post a Comment